The first telephone exchange in Ireland was opened in 1880 by the United Telephone Company on the top floor of Commercial Buildings in Dame Street.
It had five subscribers, but none had direct links from one to another.
Instead, callers had to go through an operator to be connected to another subscriber.
Moreover, no service was available outside of the hours of 9 a.m. to midnight.
Telephone circuits were confined to local areas, with contact between cities and countries requiring a call being put through a trunk system of exchanges.
Available from all good bookstores in the US and Canada and directly from Trafalgar Square Publishing: www.ipgbook.com